Sometimes in life, we go through seasons where everything in life is changing. Life is all about going through different seasons. Some good; some great; some bad; and some that are extremely uncertain.
In times of uncertainty, it is easy to become fearful, anxious, or impatient. These are all things that I have felt this past month and I know that I am not the only one who has ever felt this way.
I’m currently in a time of uncertainty in my life. It’s not that I’m not doing anything, it’s just that I’m at a point in life where I’m about to transition from Graduate School to the “real world” and there are many things about this that are uncertain.
In a few weeks I will graduate and my plans for post graduation are still in progress. Each day I get a tiny bit closer to knowing what I might be doing next, but it is still very uncertain.
The planner in me feels the need to know exactly what my life is going to look like in the next month, 6 months, and even year. But there is something freeing about letting all of that control over my life go and letting God work in my life.
There are a few things that I have been doing to keep feelings of fear, anxiety, and impatience from discouraging me in this time.
- Counting my blessings: In this season, I have been reflecting on all the amazing opportunities I’ve had while in school. Had I not gone to grad school, I may not have gotten to experience so many great things. When I think about these blessings, negative feelings are diminished and I maintain joy in life.
- Leaning on my Support System: My support system is one of my many blessings. My family, friends, and co-workers have been so supportive in helping me make connections for jobs, understand my strengths as an employee, and given me the confidence that everything is going to work out when it’s time.
- Praying and then Praying again: This is not the first time I’ve gone through a transition in life and I’ve experienced the power of prayer. Praying more diligently allows me to lay down my fears, anxieties, and impatience and gives me peace and comfort in God.
- Being intentional about my next steps: It is important to note after reading everything above that I’m not just floating by with happy thoughts and hoping for the best. I am being proactive about job searching and thinking about what life will be like without school obligations. I will now need to be intentional about continuing to learn and grow on my own.
- Enjoying this season that God has given me to prepare for my next season in life: I am viewing this season in life as an opportunity instead of a setback. God is using this time to teach me patience and it challenges me to find contentment despite not even knowing what the next week has in store for me. I can use this time to celebrate graduation and to relax and enjoy life before I jump into the next big thing!
To all my friends going through times of uncertainty in life, I hope that these tips can help encourage you to stay strong. You’ve got this!